1. What is PrEP?
2. How can I learn more about PrEP?
3. What kind of side effects might I get from taking PrEP?
- Some people – fewer than 1 in 20 – experience stomach discomfort (pain/nausea), headaches, or weight loss. Most people who do experience side effects find they go away on their own after the first few weeks. PrEP is generally considered easy to take.
- Many people have used Truvada (the PrEP medication used in this study) for years.
- Possible but very rare long-term side effects include loss of bone mineral density and kidney damage.
4. What is the PrEPTECH study?
5. Who can be involved in the PrEPTECH study? Who is eligible?
6. What's the process for joining the study?
- When you click “Join the Study,” you’ll make a PrEPTECH account, and take a survey that asks about who you are, to help us verify your identity.
- If you meet the criteria to join, you will read and digitally sign a form that explains the study, and you’ll take a quick quiz to make sure you consent to participate.
- Once you pass the quiz, you’ll be split into one of two groups, purely based on chance.
- One group will get access to PrEPTECH. The other won’t.
- Everyone in the study will be asked to complete three online surveys, and when it’s time we’ll send a reminder to your preferred method of communication (text message or email).
- You’ll take the first survey right away, the second survey after three months, and the third survey after six months.
- You will get e-gift cards each time you take a survey, up to $150 total for completing all three surveys!
7. Does everyone enrolled in the study get the same help?
8. How does PrEPTECH work?
- If you’re assigned to the PrEPTECH group, first you’ll order your lab tests through a secure online platform, which helps the study doctor ensure that PrEP will be safe for you. They’ll be sent directly to you!
- Once your labs come in, you’ll have an appointment with our study doctor, “Dr K” (Jeffrey Klausner, MD) online or over the phone. He’s a globally recognized HIV expert.
- If Dr. K confirms that it’s safe for you to begin PrEP, an online pharmacy we partner with will send you a free supply of PrEP to an address you choose.
- If you are a transgender woman or you are under 18, you’ll get free PrEP for the entire 6-month study period.
- If you’re over 18 and a cisgender male, you’ll get a free 30 day supply of PrEP, and our study coordinator will help you figure out how to get more PrEP before your supply runs out, whether or not you have insurance
- Our online system keeps you on track so that you have more time to enjoy your HIV-free life. Each step of the way, we’ll send a reminder to your preferred method of communication (text message or email) that you need to log back into PrEPTECH website.
- We’re help to help! You can reach out to the PrEPTECH2 study team anytime at [email protected] or (510) 628-6434 – texts and calls are both fine! We’ll get back to you within a couple of days.
9. How much do I get compensated?
10. How do I get compensated?
11. What will you ask me about in the survey?
12. How long does this study take?
13. If I'm under 18, do I have to ask my parents if I can participate?
14. Can my friends join the PrEPTECH study?
15. How will you protect me and my data?
16. How is the PrEPTECH study funded?
17. Who made PrEPTECH?
18. What are my rights as a participant in this study?
You can also learn more about the study and your rights as a participant in the informed consent document we ask every prospective participant to read.
If you are an adult gay or bisexual man, your informed consent is available here.
If you are age 15 to 17, your informed consent is available here.
And if you are a transwoman, your informed consent document is available here.